“The most important thing in life is knowing the most important things in life.”

I didn't write a blog post last week and I am sorry about that.  I have been writing every day because I am working on a project with Crystal Bridges museum, and it has taken me a lot longer and been a little more involved than I originally thought it would be.  It has been awesome-just a little more intense than I imagined.  I have been researching works of art and writing essays about the art, the artist,
My work area (and breakfast)
and history of the painting for an online database for teachers.  I have loved learning all about these paintings and I have realized that although I teach this and believe with all my heart--it is true that every work of art has a story to tell.  It's been awesome, but I was so busy I didn't take time to write my blog last week.  I hope you'll forgive me and keep reading.  I do feel like I'm doing okay on this New Year's resolution of mine :)

This week I did something I don't normally do.  I was supposed to go to the AP Summer Institute last week.  It is teacher training that I have been to for three years in a row.  It is awesome!  It is one of my favorite professional development activities of the summer.  However, last Sunday, when I wasn't writing my blog, I was nearly in tears trying to figure out how I was going to accomplish everything.  I was calling people for help (who always help but who were on vacation or already doing something) and I was trying to arrange schedules and I was panicking.  My husband and I were running an errand and he looked at me asked me a really interesting question.  He said, "Do you absolutely have to attend this training, Katy?  What would happen if you couldn't?"  I had no answer.  Well, the answer was no, I didn't have to.  I am required to attend a certain number of hours of training (which I always at least double each year) and I am required to attend this particular training once every three years.  Attending the training would mean I would miss seeing my son off on his first ever trip without us, missing my daughter's public reading, leaving my daughter without transportation for most of the week.  Why did I feel compelled to work this out?
Sending my boys off!

Monday morning, after I dropped my daughter off, I called the University and asked about the implications of cancelling the training.  They were so nice.  There was no penalty, and they appreciated my calling.  I let my lead teacher and my team know that I was unable to attend, all of them were gracious and understanding.  I couldn't believe it.  I had said no to something, not to be mean, but because it was the best thing for my people, and it was all okay.  

I had the most amazing week.  Monday I finished writing about my new favorite painting at Crystal Bridges.  It is a painting by Robert Henri titled Jessica Penn in Black with White Plumes and it has the coolest story ever.  Seriously, I think I will probably write a blog post eventually about how much art has come to mean to me as a teacher and a human being.  Tuesday I took my sister to a movie--a true chick flick--and we loved every second of it.  Wednesday I did some more writing, and checked almost all
Cheers!
of my summer work off my list.  I got to be here to hug my son and send him on his first solo adventure with his good friend Luke.  Thursday I took my sister to a local winery and we had the most amazing time!  We were the only table there and we laughed and celebrated summer.  Friday I was prepared for my daughter's reading. I got to go cheer on my niece at her performance, and then I got a call that Liv had gotten sick.  BUMMER!  I was so glad I wasn't in training.  I brought her home, went to the store and got all the necessary bad tummy remedies and spent the afternoon alternatively
Lexi ROCKS!
floating in the pool and caring for my girl.  I was so glad I could be here for her.

I guess I learned that it is okay to say no sometimes.  As a teacher I want to do every single thing I can to provide the most opportunity for my students.  I realized that I gained more in taking this week off than I would have it I had been in training.  So, I encourage you to look at all the demands you have and ask yourself, just like my husband asked me, "What would happen if you said no?"  Have a wonderful week my dear friends!  Much love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice What I Preach

Present: Being Here

We need to talk…