How do you measure a year?

Happy Sunday!  I am so looking forward to this week--it's my birthday on Tuesday!  I love birthdays, and yes, I am going to be 41 years old.  I love birthdays because they are a celebration that we are here, living and breathing and learning and loving!  Each year, I am so thankful for what the previous year has taught me, and even at my age, I am so excited about starting a new year.  I love any occasion to have fun with my family and friends, and I also love cupcakes.  For me, my birthday is not really about me, but it is about being thankful for all of the things that I have learned from, been changed by, people I have loved and wishes for the future.  So, in honor of my birthday, I want to write a few things I have learned this year:

1. Acting is painful, but it is less painful than waiting
If you do something that you really believe in, you will make people uncomfortable. You have to be aware of this bargain, weigh the options, and make a choice. Sometimes, you decide the best course of action is to compromise.  This means, once you decide, that you wholly embrace the compromise.  I have often compromised, and I have learned a lot and I don't regret the compromise.  It was more important for me to take a back seat, listen and learn. I found amazing mentors who were at a different stage who guided me.  But this year, I have a few issues that I willingly decided to stand up for as I have grown into my own philosophies and beliefs.  Whatever issues you are dealing with, whether you want to compromise or stand firm, you must decide and act.  The most painful place to be is in a place where you aren't willing to do either.  There are often times when I wanted to do both, I wanted to complain about the compromise, but not take any action.  I felt tortured and frustrated and I was horrible to be around.  Once you decide what you want to do, you will find peace.  Discord comes from trying to stay in the middle on an issue you don't believe contains a middle ground.  Either way, people are going to be upset, choose and believe you are right in your choice.  It will make all the difference.

2. Someone will do the impossible.  If you crush someone's faith, it will NEVER be them.
My children and my students sometimes express big, audacious, incredible goals.  Often times I catch myself wanting to guide them back to reality.  But then, a really good friend said to me, "You know, someone has to do it.  Why can't it be them?"  Why can't my student be the one who develops the next million dollar app, why can't my daughter be on Broadway, why can't my son be the one who finds some revolutionary piece of history that explains the unexplained?  This year, I have learned to hold back my doubt and watch as people have continued to amaze me with their determination.  I can't wait to hear their Nobel prize speeches, all I ask is that they use grammar check first :)

3. Telling people you love them can't wait
This year my son has moved out, my dad has been sick, I have had students who have lost loved ones.  What in the world is holding you back from sending the text at 11:03 pm to your son to let him know you love him?  It doesn't require a response, it doesn't do anything other than give you peace that you needed to tell him.  I told my students the other day, I realized when I was away on professional development how much I had missed them.  I told them I loved them.  This didn't make them think they could take advantage of me, it just let them know how dearly I cared about them.  I'm glad I told them.  I'm glad, this year, that I have reached out to parents, at random times, to let them know how much I love their students and how thankful I am to get to know them.  At my husband's urging, I have called my dad to tell him that I love him, without needing anything else. If you want to tell someone you love them, what are you waiting for?  The telling won't diminish the importance of the sentiment, and it might just increase it.

These are just a few things I have learned.  There are many, many more.  I am going to dash off so that I can get to our favorite Mexican restaurant to begin our week of fun and celebration.  I hope you have a wonderful week.  One of the most exciting parts of my year has been that many people have read my blog, and several people have left wonderful feedback.  It is one of the greatest gifts I have ever received.  Much love and thanks, dear friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need to talk…

Practice What I Preach

Present: Being Here