“We pray for the big things and forget to give thanks for the ordinary, small (and yet really not small) gifts.”


Its Thanksgiving weekend!  Since my blog is about things I cherish, if you have read it at all, you know that I certainly cherish the big ones: family, friends, my awesome job and my many, many, ridiculously plentiful blessings I am surrounded by.  I have read so many awesome blog posts about thankfulness.  Yesterday, Black Friday (which I refuse to shop during, but I am shopping today during Small Business Saturday), I went to a class at a place called Barre3. 
It is a different kind of workout from my favorite workout (boxing); it is a ballet, yoga, bar, crazy experience.  I kind of love it, and look forward to challenging myself to some extra sessions on days when I don't box. Friday morning, I didn't really want to get up.  I had almost talked myself into believing if I didn't go to class I would run later that afternoon (I am not very good at self motivation in that regard), but I knew my friend Kim would be there, so at 8:00, I got my fanny in gear and went to the class.  I am so glad I did.  The workout was great, but what was even greater was at the end, when the instructor asked us to take a minute, to pause and think about extending our ideas of thanksgiving into the next phase of holiday craziness.  She encouraged us to embrace and be thankful for our own quirkiness and celebrate the small things.  I have been thinking about the Thanksgiving post for a few days.  I knew I didn't want to write a post about how thankful I am for all the big things; I wanted to focus on the little things I forget, but am so thankful for.  I guess I am thankful for all the little things that have enabled me to feel comfortable in being who I am.  So, although I am truly humbled by all the massively huge things to be thankful for, here is my list of 30 ('cause there are 30 days in November) little-ish/big-ish things that I am truly, truly thankful for:
  1. Books of all sizes, shapes, colors and quality: I have found myself often in the pages of some weird book.  I remember reading Gone with the Wind for the first time, thinking that I was "just like Scarlett" (I am nothing like Scarlett, but I was 16 years old and highly imaginative).  I yell, cry, laugh, and wonder at the stories that have shaped my identity.  Books allow me to see that I'm not the only weirdo, to experience faraway places and to be braver than I think I am.  Books have connected with so many students and people, they have given me a language of magic and empathy and history.  I love everything about books, and am so thankful for them!
  2. StraightRight Boxing Gym: I love boxing. I never thought that would be true, but it is absolutely true.  I love that my gym pushes me, that I have some of my dearest friends there when I walk in.  Boxing makes me feel confident and strong, and as a 41 year old woman, it is about time!  Thank you to every single person at my gym for caring about me and pushing me.  I love you all!
  3. Arts Live Theater: I could write an entire post about this place. Arts Live Theater is a magical place, and I will never, ever be able to be thankful enough for this little building on Sang Avenue where so many people have found their voices.  For our family, ALT means true friendship, happiness and joy.  The amazing people who dedicate themselves to children's theater are the finest human beings I know. Thank for always being the lifeline and support for so many kids (mine included) who need a safe space to become who they truly are through imagining they are someone or something else.
  4. The Northwest Arkansas Writing Project: I know that professional development can be a curse word for teachers, but I have been blessed to be a part of the NWAWP.  I met so many awesome friends who are amazing teachers and mentors for me.  I know I would not be the person I am today, or the teacher I am today, without these people.
  5. Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art: I never really thought much about art before I started teaching and realized how important and connecting art can be.  The fact that the place I live has a world-class museum, and the fact that I have been a part of the ARTeacher fellowship, is something I will never be able to be thankful enough for.  Being able to experience this museum has allowed me to see so many things in new ways.
  6. The Sonic Drive-in in Tontitown, Arkansas: I love Sonic, I love Diet Coke with lime, and I am supposed to love water, but only really love it when it has one squirt of Raspberry and one squirt of mint flavor.  The awesome people at Sonic know me, know my order, and make me smile every single morning.  Thanks guys for judging without judging and knowing exactly how to make my crazy specific order!
  7. Kids Popcorn Combos at Malco Movie Theaters: I love movies.  Shouldn't be a big surprise given how much I love stories.  During a movie, I must have popcorn, but the popcorn situation can be troubling-way too much, which leaves me feeling guilty. I love the kid combo size at Malco movies.  I get a little bit of diet coke, a little popcorn; I can share the fruit snacks.  Thanks Malco and Malco employees for the hook-up!
  8. Febreeze with Downy and Swifter with Febreeze: I am not a huge fan of cleaning.  Somehow, the awesome scientist/ product development geniuses at P&G have come up with a way to make my house seem clean without actually being clean.  I love this stuff!
  9. Pretty Composition Notebooks: I love to write, and I love to write even more when I get to do it in a pretty notebook (not sure why, but I just love these things).
  10. ModCloth Dresses: I love putting on pretty dresses, and ModCloth always makes me feel pretty and unique and stylish.
  11. Bath & Body Works Hand Soap and Sanitizer: I am so thankful that I get to share these with my students and again, I love pretty smelling things.
  12. Kleenex with Lotion: Perfection!
  13. Starbucks (Even though I hate their coffee): I love going to Starbucks and getting a hot tea with my daughter and seeing all the cool people and pretending I am one of those cool people for a couple minutes.  I also love that my daughter loves Starbucks and therefore is one of those cool people and I get to hang with her!
  14. The local sushi restaurant where they yell hello when you walk in: Makes me smile every single time!
  15. My husband's hilarious text messages: Again with the laughter, often at inappropriate times
  16. Lunch in the workroom with my friends: I love that almost every day I get to have lunch with some of the most intelligent, most hilarious people on the planet. We talk about the most inappropriate things.  I remember the first time I ever went in a teacher workroom (with my mother-in-law) and felt like I had crossed some magical childhood threshold.  I had! Teacher workrooms are awesome, and if you are a teacher you know, and if you are not one of us, you can't hang with us :)
  17. Pandora Disney Channel Stars Radio: Because more than any other station, my daughter and I can belt these songs, with the windows down, driving through town, and these are some of my favorite memories.
  18. Texts from my Students: I love getting texts from my students, even if it is asking about the homework assignments. I have received so many wonderful messages from students, and I am so thankful that so many people have stayed in touch over the years.  Each time I get a message I am thankful to know so many awesome people.
  19. Sour Straws Candy: This one is for some very dear children that are not my own.  I believe that I bonded with some super crazy awesome kids at a football game (which I don't understand) as we discussed and shared sour candy.  I love you Shelton people, thank you for filling my life with sour candy and sweet memories.
  20. Colorful Expo Markers: Writing in color makes everything better!
  21. Glitter: Sorry Justin, but glitter is just...well, it's glitter!
  22. Social Media: I know the pitfalls, I know the issues, but social media has allowed me to see so much success from the people I have been privileged to teach.  I love getting to have a small window into their success.  
  23. High School Extracurricular Activities:  I am thankful for what sports, music, art, and everything non-academic does for students and my school.  I love that I go to events and I laugh and see students who normally don't care about anything truly care about something.
  24. Really good hair color: Thank you for making me feel like that gray hair never existed.
  25. The Parents of the Students I teach: I have been truly blessed by the parents of the students I teach.  Not all of them, but there are some that have taught me so much about generosity, kindness and friendship.  I have also been blessed by getting to teach some remarkable people, and I know that isn't an accident.  If I have been lucky enough to teach your children, thank you for sharing them with me!
  26. Soft Pajamas: I love fuzzy pajamas, and everything feels better when I get to chill, put on my warm PJ's and relax.
  27. Sweatshirts, Yoga Pants, Nike Shorts and Comfort Tanks: After school is out, I love all of these clothes.  My summer, weekend wardrobe makes me feel happy and relaxed.
  28. Lip gloss and Sparkly Earrings: Doesn't matter where I'm going or who is going to be there, I am thankful for these two items that always make me feel better!
  29. Household Appliances: As a kid, my sister and I had to hand wash dishes every night after dinner, and when we visited the popcorn farm in the summer, we had to hang out laundry on a line. I am thankful that I experienced that, but I am even more thankful I never have to do it again!
  30. My blog: I have struggled at times, and I know it isn't perfect.  But writing this blog has forced me to think about things.  It has connected me with people in a deeper way.  This blog's purpose has been to force me to write and think about things I love and I am thankful so many people have read it and talked to me about it.  If you are still reading, I will never be thankful enough for your encouragement.  This blog has been truly intimidating (putting stuff out in the world for people to read) but it has taught me to believe in myself and to just write.
Happy Thanksgiving friends!  I wish you the very best the holiday season has to offer!  Thank you for your support and encouragement.  I am incredibly blessed!

Comments

  1. #4, #5, #6, #9, #16, #20, #21, #25, #26, #28, #30... love, Love, LOVE!
    #24.. My really good hair color IS my gray! :)
    H

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We need to talk…

Practice What I Preach

Present: Being Here