Scatter Joy

Last week was spirit week and parent teacher conferences at my school.  I am a crazy woman for both of these things. When I think about my word for 2015, when I chose "embrace"-I really intended for it to be metaphorical-as in "embrace the challenges."  But, now that I think about it, I think the word has a more literal meaning that has truly impacted my life.

During spirit week, Tuesday was the most wonderful spirit day of my existence-it was "Tutus and Ties Tuesday."  I was born for this spirit day.  My tutu (that I made with my dear friends) was the very most glittery, beautiful creation imaginable, and my tie had been specially made with a super glittery "Go Cats" and paw prints from one of my favorite boutiques in town. I wore glitter tights and I put a glitter paw print on my face.  But, what was magical, was the amount of hugs I gave that day. I felt the literal importance of "embrace."  I loved every moment of that day.

That night was parent teacher conferences.  As I took a breath and prepared to meet parents in all my glitter-fabulous-ness, I embraced the fact that I am a professional-tutu and all.  Although I always have fun on spirit week, I do so to connect with my students, to give them permission to remember that school can be fun and teachers can be weird and wonderful. I do not sacrifice academic rigor in my classroom, instead I embrace that learning in itself can be frustrating and challenging, but ultimately fun.  I have come to accept that I am, forever and always, "that" teacher. Sitting in a desk in my classroom might result in glitter on your behind, but you will always see my genuine best that I have to give. I will tell you, as loudly and honestly I can what I love about you, and I will scatter as much joy and love as I can while educating you to think critically and communicate effectively, because my love language is creating independence and greatness, praying that my students excel in their wildest dreams.

I had so many wonderful families come to visit me.  Although during conferences we go through grades and assignments (and not all are positive) I feel like I need to give parents some idea of what their children are like at school.  I see my students as citizens and intellectuals.  I see them struggle and figure things out.  I see them for who they are-separate from home. I am privileged to be a part of their lives.  For a long time, I didn't really embrace the reality of the responsibility of this gift I am given from my students. The fact that so many of my students share a side of themselves in our classroom is humbling and overwhelming. During conferences, I try my best to honor the remarkable individuals my students are by sharing at least one story from our classroom with their parents or guardians. 
I will be honest, this can be emotional-for parents, students, and myself. I get teary eyed thinking about the fact that so many of the parents I am talking with are struggling, as I did, with the reality that their students are leaving home soon.  I do my best to thank them, and ensure them of the incredible human beings they have raised. I share stories of generosity and curiosity I have seen in their child. Sometimes, parents and I get misty-eyed.  And, often times, I hug them, and they hug me back, as we celebrate the fortune we both have to know such remarkable people.  Again, not a metaphorical embrace, but it is such an important human connection.  

This week is not spirit week, but it is another opportunity for me to reach out and connect with someone who needs me.  Either metaphorically or literally, I am ready to be my very best.  I wish you the very best week friends!  Much love and glitter :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need to talk…

Practice What I Preach

Present: Being Here