Man is so made that when anything fires his soul, impossibilities vanish.

This was kind of a big week for us.  It was Spring Break!  It was only three days long because of all the snow (which I don't ever like, but I am at peace with now).  My son got a new job--it is kind of a big deal because it is his first real official, punch a time clock, follow a schedule kind of job.  I am very proud of him!  My daughter also passed her driving permit test, which was super exciting because this might not have been her first try, (heck, it might not have been her second try), but what really matters is it was her SUCCESSFUL try!  Holy macaroni my girl will be driving!  I cannot make any comments about what type of driver she will be because I myself am not the most skilled at this particular task.  Therefore, her father will guide her in this arena and I will worry and pray and listen to them both recount whatever countless adventures I am certain lay ahead of us.
Olivia and her permit!


Monday morning my mom sent me a text before I left for school saying my picture was in the paper.  Then she texted me a few minutes later and said my picture was on the front page of the Northwest Arkansas section of the paper.  Now, I knew there would eventually be a story written about this particular issue, and I knew there were pictures taken, but it still really took me by surprise.  I had no idea when it would be published or what it would say.  A friend of mine put the picture up on Facebook, but I didn't get a chance to read the article until that afternoon. I was nervous, kind of embarrassed, and anxious to read the article.  You see, they wanted to know about stories and teaching, and these are two things that I am passionate about.  So, with trepidation I read the article.  Now, this blog post is about something I cherish, and it is not stories or teaching--or having my picture in the paper (where I look like I am preaching the Gospel according to Twain).  The thing I want to tell you about is passion. 

Not preaching--TEACHING!

I cherish passion because I have seen it reveal amazingness in people I value.  This article was NOT about me at all.  It was about the fear some people have that fiction is being taken away from high school English classrooms.  It is not being taken from mine.  Stories are the way we connect to the world, the way we can get inside and walk around in some other time or place, allow ourselves to fall in love or hate or despair through the eyes of a creation--in a safe way.  But stories allow my students to share themselves with me as well.  I was interviewed because I am a proud participant in both the Northwest Arkansas and National Writing Project.  Being a part of the writing project changed my life, it helped me find people who I continue to count as my friends and mentors.  It helped me find my passion as a writer and a writing teacher.  It was a transformative experience.  I will never forget participating in lessons given by some of the best teachers I know; I will never forget teaching these people I respected and loved and having them support me.  I found passion for being a writer and teaching writing, and I have never lost that passion. 

On the last day of the writing project each person reads their writing to the group.  Everyone's writing was VASTLY different.  We had fictional stories and memoirs and poems and monologues.  Each of my friends and survivors of this intense training had written something they were passionate about.  Each piece made us laugh and cry and relate.  I knew, from that moment on, that my classroom would be a place that celebrated the passions that my students feel.  When a student finds a way to connect something they care about or are passionate to their writing it can be scary, but it can be remarkable.  I will never be able to thank my students enough for the gifts they have shared with me through their honest, passionate writing.  It has been one of my greatest treasures.


My daughter is an actress.  She is amazing.  Each time she is on stage I experience a feeling that I will never have words to describe.  I simultaneously smile and tears fill my eyes.  It does not matter to me if she is on stage for one minute or sixty.  She is doing something she is passionate about.  The people who have supported her are some of the most generous, passionate people who I will never be able to thank for all they have done for my family.  This passion that my daughter has is terrifying.  Each time she auditions I feel the excitement and fear.  Each time she goes on stage I have butterflies for her.  But, she continues on.  I tried explaining to my best friend why I didn't know about encouraging her with her acting.  I mean, it's not very realistic and responsible.  My friend looked me in the eye and said, "Somebody's gonna do it, why can't it be Liv?"  My attitude changed that day.  My daughter deserves to do what she loves, to fill herself up with the thrill of being in her moment, sharing her passion with whoever is watching.

My sweet Flounder with dear friends!

The reason I am so excited that tomorrow is Monday is not because I wouldn't love to spend another day with my daughter on some random adventure we create.  It is because each and every day I get the chance (it might be a smaller chance on some days) to not only do something I am passionate about, but tomorrow might be the day that a student opens up and shares with me their passion.  Tomorrow might be the day I am honored to share in someone finding their voice, expressing their passion.  And I will celebrate.

Happy Monday dear friends!  Make it great!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice What I Preach

We need to talk…

Present: Being Here