Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world.

It's Sunday.  The first summer Sunday.  I love summer!  This week was pretty monumental in my life in a quiet but significant way.  My husband and I accompanied our son to freshman orientation at the university of his choosing.  First of all, I feel really blessed that my son had choices when it came to his options for higher education.  Although he certainly wasn't a perfect student, he proved himself smart and capable and curious and was offered a few different scholarships from many schools in our state.  The fact that he had a true choice was very gratifying and a tiny bit scary for my husband and me.  Ultimately, he chose the university that is closest to our home.  That is NOT why he picked it.  My son does not have a major, nor does he have a clear cut path for his future at this point.  I can't imagine why--he turned 18 last week, shouldn't his road be clearly marked?  The reason he chose our local, yet kind of big university, compared to the other, very compelling smaller schools, is because my son decided he wanted the opportunity to try lots of different things.  I am incredibly proud of not only his decision but his reasons for it.


As we sat through orientation, the three of us felt overwhelmed.  They talked about moving in and meal plans and getting connected and homesickness and roommate issues and the list goes on and on.  It was two full days of information.  After the first day we were exhausted.  After we got home, I sat mulling over the schedule for day two.  The second day schedule promised to be as filled with information overload as day one.  We arrived a little before 8 AM, and the presentations were in full force.  After sitting through two hours about parking and law enforcement and move-in regulations, the time came to divide all the students into their advisory groups.  Austen decided to go with the group focusing on International Relations (something he has researched a little bit and finds intriguing) while my husband and I stayed with the parents to listen to more about choosing a major and more presentations.  Although we wanted to focus, we both kept anxiously checking our phones.  Was he constructing his schedule?  What would it be like?  Would he be forced to take classes he wasn't interested in?  What was happening?  Finally, after 90 minutes, we got the text that he would meet us at lunch.


As we followed discreetly behind his group to the lunch area, we  caught up with him while he was grabbing a piece of pizza.  He was smiling from ear-to-ear, "My schedule is AWESOME!" was the first thing he said to us.  I didn't know what was on it.  I really didn't care.  This was joy and we all felt it.  My husband and I hurriedly grabbed some food and met him at a table where we sat and discussed his choices and finally found the joy in the two days.  He had not chosen classes my husband or I would have.  His entire schedule is filled with foreign language and social sciences.  We are thrilled.  This is what it is all about.  I have never felt more proud or excited about my son's future.  My mantra throughout my teaching career had been tested:  do what you love.  Education is NOT about how much money you can make, it is about opening doors, providing options.  When I saw his face; it was real.  When my son declares a major, I hope that he will have had the opportunity to explore and find something he is truly curious about and passionate about.  That is what life is about.  

I have never been political on this blog, and I am not going to start now.  I hear your groans as I can imagine your burning desire to know my political opinions on so many issues.  But I will say this, the pressure we feel as educators to somehow fix the economy is DEAD WRONG.  The fact that is has become acceptable in our society to equate education with income potential is unfair and incorrect.  Becoming an educated person is about giving yourself access and options.  It is undeniable that that will lead to the opportunity for more money.  I want my son to never have to worry about money.  I don't want him to struggle as my husband and I did when we were younger.  But I know if he does what he loves, he will be fine.  He may not be a multimillionaire, but I can live with that.  What I can't live with is urging him to do something that he doesn't like because I am afraid he won't find a job or be able to support himself.  I worry about that constantly, but if what I cherish is education, I must believe in the process.  And I do.  And seeing his face as he giggled over the opportunity to take Japanese is all the validation I need.  I love you, Austen Moore, and I believe that your life will be awesome. I will not be pulled into writing your future for you.  Go write it and I will be here, cheering for you and believing in you for always!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice What I Preach

Present: Being Here

We need to talk…