Sometimes life gives you lemons...

What a week!  Have you ever had a week where NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING seems to work out exactly how you envisioned it?  Yep, me too!  Last week was the week to beat all weeks.  It started out Monday with a professional development opportunity that ended up not feeling very professional or very developing.  I left that session feeling defeated, belittled, and like my job was not the job that I love so very much.  Not a great day. 

The pic I texted Justin when I was getting nervous...
Justin and I are delighted to be able to put in a pool for our big summer project this year.  It is a pretty nice above ground pool.  If you know Justin, we (meaning he) did lots of research and got us a great deal on one from the internet.  We also conducted research to find reliable pool-installation people and finally after searching found one and made an appointment for them to arrive on Monday as well.  It rained Monday, so no pool guy.  Tuesday was beautiful, pool guy said I’d see him between 2:00-3:30.  By 4:30 I realized that wasn't going to happen.  It rained on Wednesday.  He didn't come Thursday because of rain on Wednesday.  Friday, at 6 am he texted he would see me between 11:00 and noon.  His crew rolled in at 3:45.  They were upset it was, “an internet” pool and made many disparaging comments as I showed them where we wanted the pool and what our expectations were.  I was clear that we are on a septic system, and my husband had clearly painted where the lines were.  They began their work.  As I looked out the window, I felt really uneasy.  My yard was being completely destroyed, I mean COMPLETELY destroyed.  Since it was so close to 5:00, I sent Justin a text and asked him to please come home, I was really nervous something was wrong.  He got home and was shocked at the condition of our yard, but there was nothing to do, but shoulder on and hope it got finished soon.  They were about 3/5 of the way completed with the digging when everything stopped.  The man running the bulldozer type thing looked concerned.  He had gotten stuck, and to get himself out, he had used the front loader part to hoist himself out, and in the process he snapped two of the lines of our septic system.  Needless to say, the work was stopped, and tomorrow morning both the main man in charge of the pool installation system and a septic crew and my husband will be out in the yard, figuring out where we go from here.  I am cautiously optimistic they will find a solution.  Unfortunately (fortunately) I have another meeting to attend tomorrow.  Prayers are welcome.
This entire week my attitude was terrible.  I was so looking forward to getting my pool and celebrating the Fourth of July with my family.  I wanted it done.  I hounded my husband.  I whined.  I complained.  I let myself feel defeated by the training instead of letting it roll off my back.  I don’t know why.  


But, here’s why I cherish it.  Through the entire whiny, accident filled, miserable week, my husband kept ensuring me he loved me.  When I got home from training Monday, my husband knew it was a bad day.  He handed me a glass of wine and enfolded me in his arms.  He let me rant, even though he had no idea what I was talking about.  Because the pool people didn't come on Wednesday, I got to drive up and have lunch with my mom, which ended up being great.  Thursday, I got to have an impromptu lunch with my sister and niece before they left for the beach.  On Friday, I’ll never forget when that bulldozer stopped and we both realized something really bad had happened.  When my heart felt guilty about the septic lines, my husband just looked at me, headed outside and made sure I knew it wasn't my fault.  I cherish the fact that I know I am loved even when I am not perfect (or really even in the vicinity of it).  I also cherish the silver linings I am continually blessed to be shown, over and over again.



I have to go, because my brother from Iowa arrived (he was supposed to be here yesterday, but it rained and he got delayed) and my mom is sick so they are coming to my house for dinner.  My house is a mess, and my backyard is in shambles and I am so excited to see him and my dad and hug them and drink a glass of wine and get ready for a much much better week.  Much love and happy Independence Day sweet friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice What I Preach

Present: Being Here

We need to talk…