The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started


My favorite girls enjoying our last summer supper :)

Oh my gosh.  It is here!  It is really really here.  Tomorrow is the first day of school.  My daughter and I finished getting her school supplies packed just a few minutes ago.  She is starting her FRESHMAN year.  This is simply not possible.  I have cookies baking in the oven and I am getting ready to get in the shower.  My classroom is ready, name tags are made (who knows if the people I originally have on my roll will still be my people tomorrow, but I want to be ready).  I have my outfit picked out, I have peanut butter and pretzel snacks packed in my book bag. I am ridiculously excited and nervous.  I know I won't sleep well tonight, but I will be so excited it won't matter until Wednesday (the day I must move my son into his dorm room--a project I am in denial about tonight because I can only handle one major emotional upheaval at a time).  I currently have 147 new people to get to know, to learn their names, to learn a little bit about them.  147 human beings that I have the opportunity to learn from and who will, for better or worse, change my life.  147 new kids!

There are many things I desperately love about being a teacher.  Today, my husband was making his annual trip into my classroom (C-203) and I was walking down the hall.  I couldn't help myself, I sighed, "I love this place."  He just smiled, "I know you do."  It is the only place where every year, you get to start over.  You get to meet an entirely new team.  You have the chance to be who you want to be.  A lot of my students have histories they don't cherish.  Some of their summers have not been filled with snow cones and pool parties.  Some of them may not have had enough to eat.  Some may not have had positive interactions with kids or adults since school got out last year.  Some will have traveled to far away places and had amazing experiences.  But tomorrow, on the first day of school, all of us will be a little nervous, a little excited, and we will all realize that, unlike so many times in our lives, we get the chance to begin a new.

An amazing student from a couple years ago brought me an amazing piece of photography he made for me with the Mark Twain quotation that is the title of this post, "The secret to getting ahead is getting started."  I put his art work up at the front of my classroom.  It is my dream to be the best teacher and mentor I can, and the only way I am ever going to get there is by starting tomorrow in the best possible way.  I can't wait to learn what my new students' dreams are.  I hope I can guide them to understanding how important it is to dream big and to work hard.  I hope I will be able to assist them in some way to achieving their dreams.  I seriously am beside myself with anticipation.

As I sit here typing, I am missing my people from last year.  I am hopeful the juniors I taught will come by and give me a hug.  I will be thinking of and praying for the seniors who so greatly impacted my heart and are all moving into a brand new adventure.  I have kept in contact with many of them who are beginning their new adventures in college or in new jobs.  I need to delete my last year's text message service for them, but I can't, yet.  I will next week, after I get the chance to send them one last wish before they are gone.  It is time for a new start.  It is time for a new adventure.  I cannot wait to see where we will go.  Many many blessing sweet friends.  I know this will be the best year yet!  Much love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need to talk…

Practice What I Preach

Present: Being Here